While we definitely recommend using a web analytics tracker, such as Google Analytics or Matomo, to track usage of your portal, the portal itself does record each time a user visits a piece of content. It uses this information to generate things like recommended content, recently visited content, most active users, etc.
Originally, these visit counts were only tracked for Tableau dashboards. We recently took a long look in the mirror and asked ourselves if we could do better. The people in the mirror nodded their heads, so we thanked them for their insight and expanded those recommended and recently visited lists to include other types of content.
The portal is now able to track visits of pages, files, external links, keyword pages and a growing list of other content types. If you previously had your homepage displaying or sorting tiles based on view counts or recommendations, you should now see these other types of content show up in the results.
As useful as this admittedly simple tracking can be, some of you have taken the initiative to connect directly to your portal’s database to use this information. With the addition of more generic content, the database tables used to track visits has been migrated to a new tables. While they’re no longer being updated, the old tables will exist for a short time to give you time to refactor your connections to these new tables. The current plan is to send off the old tables to a nice farm upstate with lots of wide open spaces to frolic in the August 2020 release.
Here’s what you need to know to make the switch:
- The interworks_tableauviz_dashboard_views table is now interworks_usermgmt_content_view.
- The interworks_tableauviz_view_summary table is now interworks_usermgmt_content_view_summary.
- The dashboard_id column in each of the tables now maps to the viewable_content_id column where the viewable_content_type column is “InterWorks\TableauViz\Models\Dashboard”.
- The user_id column in each of the tables now maps to the tableau_user_id.
- A new frontend_user_id column is a foreign key to the id column of the interworks_usermgmt_front_users.
- A new username column stores the username for the user as a convenient look-up.