There are times when you might have issues using the traditional RDP method of running MSTSC (Microsoft Terminal Services Client). An alternate method is to use the Remote Desktop Web Connection instead. But first, you need to prepare the destination workstation by installing Remote Desktop Web Connection.
To install Remote Desktop Web Connection:
- Open Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.
- Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
- Select Internet Information Services, and then click Details.
- In the Subcomponents of Internet Information Services list, select World Wide Web Service, and then click Details.
- In the Subcomponents for World Wide Web Service list, click the Remote Desktop Web Connection check box, and then click OK.
- In the Windows Components Wizard, click Next.
- Open Internet Services Manager.
- Expand the folder hierarchy until you reach the local computer nameWeb SitesDefault Web Sitetsweb folder.
- Right-click the tsweb folder and then click Properties.
- Click the Directory Security tab on the Properties dialog box.
- In Anonymous access and authentication control, click Edit.
- Check the Anonymous access check box on the Authentication Methods dialog box, and then click OK twice.
To connect to another computer using Remote Desktop Web Connection:
- Ensure that Remote Desktop Web Connection is installed and running on the Web server.
- Ensure that your client computer has an active network connection and that the WINS server service (or other name resolution method) is functioning.
- On your client computer, start Microsoft Internet Explorer.
- In the Address box, type the Uniform Resource Locator (URL) for the home directory of the Web server hosting Remote Desktop Web Connection.
- The URL is “http://” followed by the Windows Networking name of your server, followed by the path of the directory containing the Remote Desktop Web Connection files (default = /Tsweb/). For example, if your Web server is registered with the WINS server as “server”, in the Address box you type: http://server/tsweb/, and then press ENTER. The Remote Desktop Web Connection page appears on the screen.
- In Server, type the name of the remote computer to which you want to connect.
- Optionally, specify the screen size and logon information for your connection.
- Click Connect.
- After you supply your username and password the Windows XP desktop appears and login as proceed as usual.