Earlier this month, we ran the second-ever panel for DataWomen. DataWomen is a data network that hosts regular webinars, runs a mentoring program, hosts a LinkedIn group and shares valuable content and resources to bolster the broader data community.
The aim of all of this is to support and empower women in data – DataWomen – and data friends by creating an inclusive community for discussion and mutual learning. You can learn more about this at the DataWomen page.
The Workplace After COVID
COVID seems like it’s gone on forever, right? Many of us had our lives, personal and work, turned upside-down. So what does life and work look like during COVID and in a post-COVID world? In the most recent event, InterWorks Analytics Consultant Beth Kairys hosted Jessica Paulson from Equal Opportunity Schools and Candra McRae from Tableau for a candid conversation on life and work. The discussion between these phenomenal women was so insightful, it was hard to pick only a few highlights, but we tried anyway. Here were some of our favourite moments:
- The importance of really turning off and leaving work at the end of the day, whether by having a completely separate workspace or through the simple act of placing your laptop in a drawer when you’re done for the day
- The role of routine in keeping you on track and balanced, including just taking a lunch break (something we’re all guilty of missing from time to time!)
- The need to make time to build social capital with colleagues in a remote world to ensure we’re fostering trust, a key foundation of great working relationships
- Adjusting expectations around what is doable, or required, and outsourcing things where we can
- An analogy for taking on and letting go of responsibility: knowing which balls you can drop – specifically, knowing which are plastic and which are glass and letting the plastic ones go
We could have talked for hours and were thrilled to see the level of engagement from the community. We’re hopeful the event gave you some food for thought! We know we left the panel inspired to put some of these tips into practice, whether it’s making time for pilates and yoga breaks or taking a walking meeting rather than Zoom.
If you missed the session, check out the recording below:
Be a Part of the DataWomen Community
Part of the DataWomen community is a mentoring program. We have deep dives on topics like salary negotiations and productivity at home, plus small group chats with amazing women in our community. You can learn more about that program at our landing page and find upcoming sessions. Be sure to join our LinkedIn group to get plugged into the DataWomen network right away and be the first to know about what’s next!
Want to get involved ASAP? We’re always on the lookout for stellar individuals to contribute to DataWomen and help it thrive. If that sounds like you or someone you know, reach out to Azucena Coronel, Beth Kairys or Debbie Yu. See you next time!