I know there aren’t a lot of people reinstalling Mac OS X, but I thought I’d create a post just in case you run into a situation that deems it necessary.
Here’s how to reinstall OS X on a wiped Mac:
- Power on and hold Ctrl+R immediately until a globe icon appears
- Connect to a reliable internet source (Wi-Fi works)
- Select Disk Utility and create a new partition for the drive (go to the Partition tab, click the + and assign a partition, then name and format Mac OS Extended Journaled)
- Exit out of Disk Utility and select Reinstall OS X
- Select the partition that was just created and install the OS
- The rest of the installation is pretty self explanatory
That’s all there is to it.