How Do I Change the Registered Owner and Organization Name of Windows
Scenario: Either you have purchased a pre-owned PC or you have a PC which has exchanged hands somehow and Windows reports it is registered to a person and/or an organization which is not longer correct. You want to change this information without necessarily reinstalling Windows.
Note: Steps listed here involve editing Windows registry. Proceed at your own risk. It is always recommended to backup your registry before making changes.
- From Windows main screen select the Start button (or Windows button is Vista or 7)
- From the Start menu click Run (or select the Search field if Windows Vista or 7)
- In the dialog box type “regedit” and click OK or hit ENTER
- Navigate to the following location in the Registry Editor: HKEY_Local_MachineSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsNTCurrent Version
- In the right hand pane look for the ‘RegisteredOwner’ value
- Right click the RegisteredOwner value and select Modify
- Modify the value data with the correct information and click OK
- Right click the RegisteredOrganization value and perform steps 6 and 7.
- Close the Registry Editor and verify your information has been updated.