1. If you don’t already have the latest version of Blackberry Desktop Manager, download it from www.blackberry.com and install it.
2. Open Desktop Manager and wait for it to initialize.
3. Plug in your device. If you see an icon that says IP Modem, you are ready to go. All you have to do is click Configure under Connection Settings and select your carrier. You can then click Connect and you should be connected.
If you have AT&T and do not have a tethering plan, you will not see the IP Modem icon. You will have to make a few changes to make it appear. To make it work with AT&T, do the following:
1. Follow steps 1-3 above. After you plug in your device, if you do not see the IP Modem icon, unplug your device and close the Desktop Manager.
2. Locate the file called ip_modem_configuration.xml on your computer. In Windows 7 it will be in C:ProgramDataResearch In MotionBlackberry, in Windows XP it will be in C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataResearch In MotionBlackberry. In both cases you must have your computer set to show hidden files and show system files.
3. Open the ip_modem_configuration.xml file with notepad and do a Search for AT&T. When you find that you will see “enabled=false”, change false to true and right below that you will see “isp.cingular”. Change that to wap.cingular. Close the file and save it, then change the file properties to Read Only.
4. Open Desktop Manager and connect your device. You should now see the IP Modem icon.
5. Click the IP Modem icon and then click Configure.
6. Click Add Custom Profile, name it whatever you want and save it.
7. Under your new custom profile, put the following in the Additional Commands box: AT+CGDCONT=1,”IP”,”wap.cingular”
8. Save the profile, click OK, and from now on you should be able to just click Connect and use your AT&T Blackberry to tether.
PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU WILL INCUR DATA CHARGES WHILE YOU ARE TETHERING. IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED THAT YOU HAVE AN UNLIMITED DATA PLAN IF YOU ARE GOING TO TETHER.