If you own Tableau Software, the good news is that you have access to the industry-best business intelligence platform capable of powerful visual analysis! You already knew this, but it’s worth celebrating the fact that you’re doing things right.
There is a wealth of support services available for Tableau. Today, we’ll be discussing five options—three from Tableau themselves and two from InterWorks:
- Tableau Standard Support
- Tableau Extended Support
- Tableau Premium Support
- Assist by InterWorks
- ServerCare by InterWorks
We’ll run through the basic definitions then dive into the recommendations. Ready? Let’s start with a detailed look at the options.
Standard Support comes with Tableau, whether you purchase directly from Tableau or from a reseller like InterWorks. You get access to numerous online resources and three contacts with either 8- or 24-hour SLAs depending on the priority of your server issue.
Extended Support adds responsiveness, speeding up priority one and two response time from 8hrs/24hrs to 2hrs/8hrs and adding weekend support for P1 issues. You can also name five contacts instead of three with standard support.
Budget roughly $10-$75K/year, depending on the size of your deployment. Pricing is generally lower for Tableau Online as the deployments have less variability.
Premium Support improves over Extended Support, primarily by providing a Technical Account Manager to help plan for success.
Priority one and two responsiveness improves to 30min/120min, and update frequency increases from 24hr/72hr to 12hr/24hr. Tableau routes product issues to senior support team members and increases oversight.
Budget roughly $25K-$1M/year, depending on the size of your deployment. Pricing is generally lower for Tableau Online as the deployments have less variability.
Assist by InterWorks is unlimited on-demand consulting for your server team or analytics teams. Assist focuses on helping you address real-world challenges in real time. We help you build better dashboards, plan projects, polish design or tune performance. We also help troubleshoot complex calculations, fix server problems, solve data issues or resolve just about any other analytics challenge. Our team will also support you in applying best practices, defining data strategy and learning how to use new features.
Through Assist, you can take advantage of the full InterWorks consulting team. You can access experts in Tableau Desktop, Tableau Prep and Tableau Server. You’ll also be able to connect with experts in Snowflake, Matillion, FiveTran, Alteryx, Dataiku, AWS, Azure, GCP and a variety of other platforms. There’s no limit on contacts; Assist is available to every admin, explorer or creator via phone, chat, email and screenshare options.
Budget roughly from the base of $25/person/month to potentially free if you purchase your Tableau licenses through InterWorks.
ServerCare by InterWorks is a white-glove, fully managed service for your Tableau Server instance. Our team keeps your server environment running perfectly, managing from initial architecture and deployment. Our 24/7/365 monitoring, monthly OS patches and upgrades ensure you worry less about your server and spend more time with your data.
SLA response times are 2-4 hours, and we’re available via web, phone, email and Slack. We support deployment in public cloud (AWS, Azure, GCP) or your organization’s own environment.
ServerCare starts at $12K/year, scaling up with the size/complexity of your deployment.
Which Tableau Support Do You Really Need?
In a perfect world, you’d have all these services at your fingertips. You could certainly go that route if you have the resources, but most people need to narrow down the choices. We thought it best to pose a few scenarios.
SCENARIO: I don’t want to run my own Tableau Server; just make it work!
You’ve got two great options:
- ServerCare by InterWorks. We run your Tableau Server for you in the cloud or on-prem. You can sit back and focus on your dashboards.
- Tableau Online.Tableau Online is ready to go when you are and available in the cloud, which means minimal setup time and no hardware costs. However, there are some caveats to consider before diving in that might rule this option out, mostly around customization. Are you able to use a shared services environment? Do you need trusted tickets? We can help you understand if Tableau Online is a fit for your organization.
SCENARIO: I want to run my own Tableau Server but might need occasional help.
Even the best teams need additional support from time to time. We recommend one of these options:
- Tableau Premium Support. This option provides peace of mind, additional guidance and improved SLAs but leaves Tableau Server management and upgrades in your hands.
- ServerCare by InterWorks. Are you sure you need to push the buttons yourself? ServerCare’s competitive pricing and high value is often more than enough to tip the scales. You can remain as involved as you like; we’ll take care of everything else.
SCENARIO: I want help with calculations, design, loading data, Tableau Server config and more.
Need support beyond troubleshooting? We suggest:
- Assist by InterWorks. Anyone on your team can access Assist, making this service an excellent choice to help you fill gaps and keep your entire analytics environment supported.
Need More Help?
We’d love to discuss and help make sense of all the options. InterWorks can provide any combination of these support offerings to help you get the most from your Tableau platform.